The Woodruff Times is committed to telling great stories and deepening our connection with the community we serve. We are locally owned and passionate about informing, connecting, and inspiring the Woodruff, Enoree and Cross Anchor communities. We consider your voice to be a crucial part of strengthening that connection.
We do not pay for submissions. However, submissions provide authors an easy way to reach our locally invested and growing audience.
We only accept electronic submissions. Please submit your copy in an editable format (like a Word document) with any images as a .JPG file to email@example.com.
Here are some guidelines on what we’re looking for in writing submissions.
What are some examples of content I can submit?
- Press releases
- Photos of events, experiences, and places
- Letters to the editor
- Guest columns
- Briefs for community news, events, and experiences
- Stories from local writers about topics you care about and think other locals would (or should) care about too.
How do you evaluate a submission?
We review each submission on a case-by-case basis. Prior to submitting, our advice is to get familiar with the types of content we publish and topics we cover (though we are always open to new ideas), and the voice and style of our publications.
What will make us excited about your contribution?
- Originality: Send us unique content that’s never before been published.
- Expertise: Writers should demonstrate relevant knowledge on a subject area.
- Insight: Provide insights on community trends for Woodruff, Enoree, Cross Anchor and close surrounding areas.
- Accuracy: Writers should make balanced, fact-based arguments. Check your facts.
- Length: 300-700 words works well, and broken up with multimedia components.
- First-person: We love to hear how individuals are experiencing the community — whether it’s an event, an establishment, or the impact felt by an organization.
- Photos & Art: Original, relevant, and quality photos. Always be sure to include captions and image credits.
What we’re NOT looking for
- Non-Woodruff area stories. We publish news and views relevant to life in Woodruff, Enoree and Cross Anchor.
- Promotional content. If you’re looking to advertise something, please click here or contact the ads department at 864.670.9699 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Negativity. Slander, libel, misrepresentation, etc.
Will you edit my submission?
Yes. All editorial submissions will be edited and formatted at our discretion, with the most common edits involving shortening or dividing the story into easy-to-consume paragraphs.
Calendar entries and press releases that meet all of the submittal form requirements will be approved (or not) as-is by our editors. We reserve the right to edit event entries and press releases at our discretion for print. All submissions will become property of The Woodruff Times.
When and where can I expect to see my content published?
We reserve the right to publish submitted content at our discretion. Some content may only be published digitally, while other content will run online and in print.
We will get back to you concerning editorial content submissions in 5-10 business days.
What are the specific content requirements that I need to be sure to include for consideration?
- Be sure to fill out all the applicable submission form fields
- Content must be submitted in a format that can be edited, preferably a Word document. No .pdf submissions.
- Images must be in .jpg format and MUST include photo credits.
In addition, keep these specs in mind:
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR > 300 words
PRESS RELEASES > Must include organization’s logo.
EDUCATION & COMMUNITY BRIEFS
- < 75 words each (feel free to submit multiple briefs at a time)
- Education Briefs – Must include school name, and teachers first and last name.
COLUMNS & STORIES
- < 600 – 700 words
- High res photo (minimum 1 inch by 1 inch, 200 dpi) of the author
- Short bio (about 100 words, be sure to include title and organization)
- Relevant links
- Use direct quotes from named sources whenever possible.
Do you want to become a freelance contributor for The Woodruff Times?
If you’d like to become a freelance contributor and contribute content on a weekly, monthly, or quarterly basis, please contact us directly and we’d love to discuss the opportunities.
If you have any questions about the types of content we are looking for, email email@example.com