The Woodruff Times Newspaper Internship Program offers exciting opportunities in Woodruff, South Carolina and virtually for students. Ideal students for this internship would be interested in pursuing careers in: journalism, business, criminal justice, graphic design, political science, sport management, fashion, education, public health, and marketing.
What are the duties?
Assignments vary in each day. Interns can expect the following:
- Learn fundamental news-gathering skills
- Find, confirm and report news stories
- Contact persons of interest to interview for articles
- Perform light clerical duties and assist staff as requested
- Research information to appropriately source story ideas
- Assist with all elements of production, marketing, sales, advertising, distribution, and photography as requested
What are the requirements?
High school, undergraduates, and graduate students are eligible. All majors will be considered. Participants must have a passion for news, excellent written and verbal communication abilities and a comprehensive knowledge of current events. While remote work may be considered, students should expect to schedule some hours to work in the office during weekly business hours.
Students must be able to meet the minimum time commitment: at least 20 hours a week. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Is this a paid position?
The Woodruff Times does not compensate students an hourly wage. A stipend may be paid. The Woodruff Times does not require students to receive college credit. Students are solely responsible for coordinating and meeting the credit requirements of their college/university.
When is the deadline?
Students are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis; the number of positions varies for each semester:
- Fall | Semester applications open: June 1 – June 30
- Spring | Semester applications open: Oct. 1 – Oct. 31
- Summer | Semester applications open: May 15–May 30
How do I apply?
Email resume and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to an anticipated high volume of applicants, the office will not respond to application-status inquiries; complete application packets are reviewed and qualified students are contacted directly for an interview.